Making mustard yellow

Previously with my samples I stumbled across an alternative colour for my collection of mustard yellow but was yet to use this as my background colour, so for the duration of the following day I spent my time sampling small pieces of various fabrics to get the colour I want. At first I thought this was going to be a tedious task because there wasn’t a colour already made for me to simply put into the dye bath, so because of this I had to try and make the colour I wanted from scratch and because I wanted a specific colour, I didn’t think this was going to happen, however I had surprised myself and soon created my desired colour.

First things first I put my colour theory knowledge to test and began to mix the colours to make my mustard yellow, using dyrect dyes because as a whole these have worked best for me, I used Pea green, yellow and rust brown. At first I wasn’t sure what quantities I needed to create my colour so I added tiny amounts until I got a colour I thought was going to create mustard yellow. This part of the task was probably the hardest only because if I had a speck too much it could change my okay mustard yellow to bright orange or green then I would have to start all over again, which did happen at least twice.

Finally I got a colour that I thought would work and began sampling my fabrics, but after the first five minute batch I stopped because there just wasn’t enough colour to any type of fabric, I had only managed to create a pale tea stain colour. I think this was because I was slightly hesitant to the amount of dye powder I put in of each that when put in the dye bath the ratio of dye to water wasn’t enough. At this point I was starting to worry about making the colour again just in case I changed the whole colour of the dye bath to orange or green and would have to entirely start again, but to ensure this didn’t happen I took my careful steps again and created more colour.

Again I sampled my fabrics and the colour had improved but was just a little too light so I added more green, then found it was too green so I then added a small amount of yellow. And finally!! It was at this point that I had got my colour and could begin sampling using different fabrics properly.

Dying my fabrics for different amount of times allowed me to get the colour I wanted, in this experiment I found that the colour I wanted worked best on silk satin fabrics and the light weight silk, for the strongest colour I needed to leave these silks in the dye bath for about 30 minutes. The cottons I had trialed were not as much as success, when they were left in the bath for the same period of time as the silks they came out more as a caramel and for that pop of colour I was searching for this was not going to make the collection.

With a good selection of mustard yellow samples, I took them into the print room to then print onto using flock and pigment. For some samples of grey flock they worked really well however I had to manage and learn the skill of pairing up the correct colours of mustard yellow with the correct shade of grey, the wrong shade of grey would change the colour of yellow.

After the trial and error of making this colour I couldn’t be happy with the end result, finding that the silk satin worked best If I needed to repeat this I would use that fabric again, however my only downfall to this process was that I did not manage to record fully what measures  of dye  I put in the dye bath because I was so cautious which would make it a lot harder to try and recreate this colour again.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s