To start including more of a story and the things I took part in and visited in morocco, I started to draw a range of camels, whether they be continious line, geometric or watercolour camels, I wanted to find a drawing that I could take further into stitch.
After drawing some camels in my sketchbook, I found that some of them appeared to childlike for the outcome of this project and was not something I was trying to created so I moved over to the line life like drawings of a camel. Mainly focusing on a one hump as these were the camels I rode whilst in morocco.
To continue with the life like line drawings I took a photograph into digital stitch and began to draw over it, creating the style I liked. In the end I managed to create a design I was happy with but in the process I found that the task was slightly tedious, trying to keep my lines curved and not straight was all practice within digital stitch, but most importantly I found it hard to make my camel drawing look like a camel.
this was the first attempt of my camel drawing and initially I was happy with it but after stitching it out for the first time I found many problems, I found that the way worked around the photograph to get the lines was a bit all over the place and because of this I found that I was left with loose threads crossing of my design making it harder to cut them off. The straight lines were a problem, they looked messy and tight, so after I saw this stitched I made the decision to go back and include some curved lines and work in a specific order so I was left with minimal amount of loose threads overlapping and crossing one another.
The other problem I found with this once it had been stitched out was that I hadn’t quite realised the size it would come out, after working to what I thought the size would be I was disappointed when it came out small. So again I went back and changed this so that the design would be more clear.
Here is a before and after of my camels once they had been digital stitched and found that all the problems I had fixed and changed the final outcome was worth it and the design was better.
The fill motif pattern that I included as a representation of the geometric patterns can be noticed more because I have enlarged the design and worked in an order.
The motif fill is also a lot more clear because in the beginning on the first stitched sample I did not include a line around the shapes I had created which made the motif pattern look broken, messy and unfinished.
Nevertheless I can see an improvement and proud with how these have turned out and will continue to experiment with colour and shibori backgrounds, also corresponding with a range of stitch techniques such as cording or fringing, similar to the previous stitch examples I have created.
Beginning to experiment with the shibori and plain backgrounds, I do feel that the shibori background will defiantly play a part with stitch and will not be left as a dye piece on its own. The camel and shibori I think work well together as a representation of morocco. However as I began to stitch this camel out onto blue barkweave cotton after the stitch adaptations I have found there is still more to change, I found that with the blue background the colour has got lost, the lines look too fine and the camel gets lost within the colour. To address this problem all i need to do is change the stitch type, instead of it being a single line thread, I will change it to a triple stitch, this will make the camel bolder and hopefully more prominent when presented on a blue background. Nevertheless I will too experiment with blue thread on orange backgrounds, I am more confident this will work better than the sample below purely because of my previous stitch samples for this project.