Introducing colour

After experimenting previously with my rubbings on screens and finding that these were both successful prints and a successful fabric choice, it was now time to begin to add the colour into my palette, using the influence of the 60’s space age and my moodboards. I began to experiment with the hot water dyes and started with acid dyes as these are typically best for silk fabrics and this is the only fabric I am using as this fabric captures the essence of the interior of a bar.

The colours I am trying to capture are greys, blues and slight purples. These are all colours that help create a cool colour combination as learn’t throughout my colour theory. The first colour I experimented with using the hot water dyes was grey. Using a black acid dye, I then put my fabrics in the dye for different periods of time, ranging from a dip to 10 minutes in the dye bath. However what I found with this was that the colour grey I thought I was going to get did not work, instead I got a light purple. This was alright because it was in my colour palette but was not what I had anticipated considering the dye powder was jet black. From this I have learn’t that depending on the type of fabric and  dye the outcome is always different, they react and absorb in different ways.

From this I knew I had to begin to experiment and find another solution to my problem. I then moved on over to cold water dyes using a black procion, again this appeared jet black, however once testing each fabric sample, the colour was not what I had thought. slightly more grey than the hot water dye, but still not the charcoal, light grey I had planned. This experiment had came out grey/blue, unfortunate I did not get the grey I wanted, but fortunate enough for it to still work within my colour palette.

As the cold water dye was more successful in the colour I was trying to create most, I then dyed some fabric samples to then use for further experimentation, such as the textures I am focusing on through screen printing and stitch. The maximum time I dyed some of these samples were up to 30 minutes, the minimum time was about a minute. I liked dying them with a range of times because you can begin to see them as a potential collection through the different shades of one colour.

The colour that I feel worked well most was the fabric that was in there for the shortest amount of time, this was because I preferred the light, classic touch of a colour. It still has an effect through colour but would not over power any of my screen print designs later on in the process.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s